Butter Chicken is a popular Indian dish known for its creamy tomato-based sauce. It is celebrated for its velvety texture and a harmonious balance of savoury and spiced flavours, making it a favourite in Indian cuisine.
When we say “Butter Chicken,” we’re talking about the famous Northern Indian sauce, rather than the dish containing chicken. The sauce is vegetarian and can be vegan by using almond or coconut cream. If you replace the chicken with lentils, beans, chickpeas, or paneer, you’ll create a delicious vegetarian dish that’s sure to please everyone.
- 10-12 pieces Chicken Legs, thighs or drumsticks or boneless thighs, skin removed
- Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Monsoon Tandoori
- 1 Large Onion finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Butter
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 tbsp Monsoon Tandoori
- 1 tsp Tobago Habanero Curry (Use for medium/mild heat version)
- 1 tsp Moghul Curry (Use for milder version)
- 1 can Tomato Sauce or puree (380ml)
- 1/2-3/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tbsp Cilantro Fresh - Chopped
- Chile Flakes
- Remove skin from the chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Monsoon Tandoori. Grill chicken on BBQ over medium low heat until almost done (10-15 minutes). (Alternatively, add olive oil to a sauté pan and fry chicken pieces over medium heat until almost done.)10-12 pieces Chicken, Salt, Black Pepper, 1 tbsp Monsoon Tandoori
- In a Dutch oven, Sauté onions in butter over medium-low heat until soft (10-15 minutes).1 Large Onion, 2-3 tbsp Butter
- Add garlic and ginger. Sauté for 2 minutes.4 cloves Garlic, 2 tsp Ginger
- Add Monsoon Tandoori, Tobago Habanero (or Moghul) Curry. Sauté for 2 minutes.1 tbsp Monsoon Tandoori, 1 tsp Tobago Habanero Curry, 1 tsp Moghul Curry
- Add tomato sauce or puree, and half the water and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.1 can Tomato Sauce, 1/2-3/4 cup Water, 1 tsp Salt
- At this point you can whir the sauce with a hand blender or regular blender to make it smooth or leave it a bit textured. You can also cool and freeze it.
- Add the chicken stirring to coat with the sauce, slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered until chicken is tender about 30-45 minutes. (20-30 minutes for boneless chicken)
- Remove lid and reduce sauce or add more water according to desired consistency.1/2-3/4 cup Water
- Just before serving, add whipping cream. Stir and simmer until heated through. Adjust seasoning and garnish with fresh cilantro and pepper flakes.1 cup whipping cream, 3 tbsp Cilantro, Chile Flakes
- Serve with rice or chapati.